What is Search Engine Optimization?
Search Engine Optimization is the process of increasing the quality and quantity of website traffic by increasing visibility of a website to users of a web search engine. It is abbreviated with SEO.
Examples of search engines are: Google, Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Sogou, Haosou, WeChat, Yandex, Ask, Theoma, etc
SEO refers to the improvement of the organic (or natural) part, not the advertorial part.
Being high up in the search-results is what everyone wants, and it can be worth to spend a lot of time on (The expenditure on SEO in the USA is around the 75 Billion USD, reports by Forbes). With advertisements you can simply buy that position. For a natural high position search engines there are technical measures possible, as well aspects you can do yourself. Here below key aspects outlined:
Instruct the search engines
First needed, based on the markets you want to reach, is to determine which search engines shall be actively worked on. Loading your web-store with visitors from China, if that is not a target market, costs you only effort and capacity. This can be managed in the robots.txt file.
The sitemap informs the search engines about the existence, importance and maintenance of the pages. This is logged into the Google Search Console, Bing webmaster and other similar tools. These tools do advise on improvement-possibilities.
Over time there will be broken links (you referred to a (own) website, which is removed / changed names. To clean it up every now and then, is important, as the search engines do rank your site lower if maintained poorly.
To be found a very first time, the website might be referred to, from an already known website.
Deliver good quality content
Search engines analyze the websites and rank your web-store higher if the following is in order:
- Having good quality content and written in clear way. There are plugins which help on this, e.g. Yoast (to see the information as per screenshot here right, go to the page or blog and click “Edit” (for this purpose, not “Edit with Elementor”).
- If the technical loading time is good. So make sure you have the right hosting and pictures are optimal sized. Aqqii will do similar for its work, e.g. also the WordPress “Theme” and plug-ins are selected on it.
- Keep the page up to date. Search Engines ranks lower if the data is never updated (recommendation is to update every 6 months)
Promote your web-store
If there are more visitors coming to your web-store, the search engines notice that, and rank your web-store higher. Here a list of options how you can generate visitors:
- Promote your web-store in the real world (visit fairs, business cards, build a community)
- Promote your web-store in the online world (blog, vlog on e.g. Youtube)
- Regularly update your website and -store. E.g. blog on well chosen key-words.
- (not part of SEO) Advertise
- Arrange links from other web-sites (internal linking contributes also positive)
It depend on the market you are in, which makes sense and which deserve more investment (time or money).
This a a brief starting point. If you want to further investigate, search the web or e.g. have a look at this : link.
Understand what is going on in your web-store
Google Analytics, Google search Console, Bing webmaster and similar tools give inside on what is happening in your web-store. All kind of information gets available, such as: the profile of the visitors (e.g. country), did they come via a link or a search, which of your sites are visited, are they returning, et cetera.
With Google Tag Manager there can be specific measures setup, e.g. how many times a button has been pushed. E.g. together with A/B testing, we can learn the behavior and preferences of the visitor. Based on that the design of the page can be optimized.
Depending on the importance for your case, you can consider how much time / money shall be spend on SEO. It is also a moving target, e.g. search engines do update their algorithms. See e.g. this article on Google’s updates. So keep in mind your goal and invest wisely.
At Aqqii we make the base settings by default (sitemap, Google analytics, implementation of SEO plugin etc). From there we can discuss how far to take it.